Drivers 'need to check policy' before driving abroad

Fix energy prices until 30th September 2017

Looking to switch your business energy supplier? Click here

Use our OFGEM accredited comparison tool to compare the whole market today.

People planning on driving abroad need to check their insurance policies to ensure they are comprehensively covered for it, according to the AA.

The body's public relations manager, Ian Crowder, explained that there is no "hard and fast rule" in terms of being insured for taking a car into a foreign country, meaning it is vital motorists check their agreements.

He said: "Some insurers do provide … up to 90 days free comprehensive cover for your vehicle anywhere in Europe and some other non-EC countries like Switzerland.

"But others don't automatically provide it for free, and they might charge a little more."

By not being covered comprehensively for driving abroad, drivers could have problems if they need to get their car removed from a foreign country, he concluded.

According to the RAC Foundation, around three million British drivers head into mainland Europe by ferry or the channel tunnel every year.

The body has also stated that UK motorists driving in Spain and Portugal are three times more likely to have an accident than they are at home.

Click here to run an energy price comparison, and see if you could be paying less for your gas and electricity.


Found this page interesting?

Help spread the word and share this page with your friends and family on your social networks.