Can I switch energy supplier?

Generally speaking, anyone can switch energy supplier – running an energy price comparison with UKPower is a quick and easy way to instantly weigh up the best energy deal against each other to find one that suits your needs and budget.

But there are some instances when you may not be able to switch, or your energy supplier could block your energy switch. If you're not sure whether you'll be able to switch, read on.

If you're ready to compare energy deals, just enter your postcode in the box below to get started.

There's no price cap on business energy. Compare deals to find cheaper prices than your supplier's out of contract rates.

When can my energy supplier stop me from switching?

It's unusual for a supplier to block an energy switch, but there are some circumstances when you may not be allowed to make the change or may have to pay a fee to do so.

If you owe money to your supplier

It is possible for your current energy supplier to block your switch to another supplier if you have an outstanding debt to pay them. This debt could also deter a new supplier from accepting you.

Debt is considered outstanding when the money owed has been unpaid for more than 28 days, and amounts to £500 or more. If you owe less than £500 and you’re on a prepayment meter, it is still possible to switch supplier.

However, if you are ‘in debt’ due to a fault by your current supplier – for example, if they have not amended your Direct Debit to cover a usage increase – then they will not be able to block a transfer.

If you live in rented property

If you would like to switch the gas and/or electricity supplier for a property that you don’t own - say you're a tenant in rented accommodation - then it's possible that you'll not be able to do so without permission from the property owner.

If you are responsible for paying the energy bills at the property, and the bills are in your name, then you have the right to choose your supplier. However, if the bills are in your landlord’s name, then switching supplier is ultimately their decision. It’s still possible to switch supplier in this case, but you will need to discuss this with your landlord.

If you have an unsupported meter

If you currently have a meter that isn’t supported by the tariff you’re looking to switch to, such as a prepayment meter, then you might be unable to switch. In order to proceed, you’d need to consider either changing your meter type e.g. standard credit, prepayment or economy 7 or opting for a different tariff which is configurable to the meter type you have installed.

Comparison services will display the suppliers that are compatible with your tariff and meter preferences, so that you can make a more informed decision when switching.

If your current contract hasn't ended

If you are on a fixed term contract and the expiry date outlined at the start of your agreement has not yet arrived, then you may face a termination fee if you switch to a different tariff/supplier before such date. Whilst not a blocker, it’s worth checking and weighing up to ensure you’re making the right choice.

The ‘switching window’ for your fixed term contract opens 49 days before the contract end date. If you are within that 49 day period, then you can arrange a new energy contract – to start after your current one expires – without incurring a termination charge.

More information on energy switching

Overall, whatever the rejection reason, if your current supplier does object to you switching due to an unfulfilled contract, they are under a licence obligation to inform you of this as soon as possible. They must explain the reason why they have objected, and – if applicable – provide details on how you can resolve this.

If you think that any of the above might apply to you, or you want to talk through your switching options with one of our savings experts, give us a call on 0800 688 8773.

How to switch energy supplier

How to switch energy supplier with UKPower. Simply enter your postcode and we'll compare energy prices from a range of suppliers. You then choose the one you prefer and we'll take care of the rest.