MPAS - Meter Point Administration Service

Beat the energy price hikes! Switch today and save £482*

in partnership with Banner uswitch

Looking to switch your business energy supplier? Click here

* Between 1 Jan 2018 and 30 Jun 2018, at least 10% of people who switched energy supplier for both gas & electricity with uSwitch saved £482 or more.

What does MPAS do?

Each regional electricity distributor in the UK (also known as the Distribution Network Operator, or DNO) operates the Meter Point Administration Service (or MPAS) for a specific area of the UK. The MPAS database, known as the Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (or ECOES; previously known as MPAS Online), contains information about the supply of electricity to each address in the UK. One important piece of information found on the database is the supply number or Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). The MPAN is a 21 digit number used to uniquely identify your electricity supply. This number is needed by electricity suppliers when you want to switch your supply, so that they can correctly identify your property.

How does this affect my switch?

Usually, when a customer wants to switch their electricity supplier, they will not need to provide their supply number (or MPAN), as this information will be automatically retrieved from an ECOES database information provider. However, in some cases the information the supplier needs to process the application cannot be retrieved. Fortunately, can automatically detect whether the information is missing, and in such cases users will be asked to enter their supply number before they can submit their application. Your regional distributor will be able to tell you what your supply number is based on your address.

The phone numbers for all the regional distributors in the UK are provided below (lines usually open during normal office hours).

Region & DistributorTelephone number
Eastern England EDF Energy0845 601 5467
East and West Midlands Central Networks0845 603 0618
London EDF Energy0845 600 0102
North Wales, Merseyside, Cheshire Sp Power Systems and North Shropshire0845 270 9101
North East England and CE Electric UK0845 070 7172
North West United Utilities0870 751 0093
North Scotland SSE Power Distribution0345 026 2554
South Scotland SP Power Systems0845 270 9101
South East England (Kent & EDF Energy parts of Sussex and Surrey)0845 601 5467
Southern England SSE Power Distribution0345 026 2554
South Wales Western Power Distribution0845 601 5972
South West England Western Power Distribution0845 601 5972

More information

Funded by electricity suppliers and distributors, ECOES was designed to assist suppliers in the transfer process when customers choose to switch. ECOES is governed by the Metering Point Administration Service Company (MPASCo), who administers a multi-party agreement between all licensed electricity distribution businesses and suppliers in the UK. The multi-party agreement is called the Master Registration Agreement (or MRA) and sets out terms for the provision of Metering Point Administration Services (MPAS Registrations) and procedures in relation to the Change of Supplier to any premise or metering point.

Who Supplies my Gas and Electricity?
Meter Supply Numbers

Found this page interesting?

Help spread the word and share this page with your friends and family on your social networks.

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more