Gas Safety Week – How Safe is your Home?
If your home has badly fitted gas appliances that have been poorly or irregularly serviced, you’re putting yourself and your family at risk from a whole host of dangers, including gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Although the dangers of flammable gas are well known, carbon monoxide is also a highly poisonous gas that you can’t see, smell or taste, and carbon monoxide poisoning accounts for up to 50 deaths and as many as 4,000 medical visits every year, in the UK.
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety around the home and workplace, and highlight the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas – if an engineer doesn’t show valid Gas Safe ID, don’t let them work on your system.
Gas safety checks to carry out around the home
Whether you’re a homeowner or a tenant, get yourself familiar with the following to ensure the gas safety of your systems and appliances, and the safety of your household:
- Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find or check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check your engineer is qualified for the type of gas work you need doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the back of their Gas Safe ID card and the Gas Safe Register website.
- Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For gas safety advice and to find or check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website or call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.
Click here to run an energy price comparison, and see if you could be paying less for your gas and electricity.