Remember insurance during renovation work


The price cap is set to rise by £117 – switch supplier to cut your bills by up to £447* & the chance to win a Fitbit (T&Cs apply).

in partnership with Banner uswitch

Looking to switch your business energy supplier? Click here

* Between 1 Jul 2018 and 31 Dec 2018, at least 10% of people who switched energy supplier for both gas & electricity with uSwitch saved £447 or more.

It is very important to make sure that your property is insured when carrying out renovation work, an industry expert has claimed.

Jason Orme, editor of Homebuilding & Renovating magazine, says that smaller-scale renovation work is normally covered simply by your existing home insurance provider - while more extensive work requires specialist insurance.

"If you are undertaking substantial work and you need to move out then you need to [obtain] specialist renovation insurance - that's very similar to the insurance people take out when they're building their house," Mr Orme comments.

"If you're doing a loft conversion or a small extension, that tends to be something that you can get specialist small-level insurance for, possibly from your existing house insurance provider. But it's very important that it is insured."

A recent study from the Department of Communities and Local Government revealed that 27.1 per cent of homes in the UK are classified as 'non-decent' for human habitation - with the average cost of restoring them to decent status listed at £7,489.

Click here to run an energy price comparison, and see if you could be paying less for your gas and electricity.

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more